POHNPEI PORT AUTHORITY, A PUBLIC CORPORATION OF THE POHNPEI STATE GOVERNMENT, IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
POSITION: General Manager
SALARY: UG $50,000.00 Per Annum
LOCATION: Pohnpei Port Authority
Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State
OPENING DATE: April 18, 2022
CLOSING DATE: May 18, 2022
Under the general direction of the Board of Directors of the Pohnpei Port Authority, the core functions of the job of the General Manager are to lead, plan, coordinate, supervise, direct and implement the overall operations and development strategies for the Authority, with primary aims to improve and expand its growth and productivity, within the context of its mandate to provide modern, reliable, and economical airport and seaport services to meet the needs of Pohnpei state, its citizens and transportation carriers, while assuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assures that the Ports Authority’s airport and seaport operations are effectively planned, organized, staffed, maintained and otherwise coordinated. Establishes appropriate objectives and standards to accomplish the purposes of the Ports Authority, and accounts for the results of its operations and business in general. Otherwise directs the Port Authority to provide effective, economical and reliable airport and seaport services to its citizens and transportation carriers in accordance with the Pohnpei Ports Authorities Act of 1991 (State 2L-224-91), other governmental rules and regulations, and within the framework of policies and budgets approved by the Board.
- Directs the development of objective forecasts of the state’s airport and seaport service requirements to allow for the proper design, financing and construction of adequate airport and seaport facilities on a timely basis. Assures that such forecasts are properly prepared and supported by objective budgets, construction and operating plans, and presented for Board approval.
- Plans and develops the Ports Authority’s organization structure and provides for its staffing with qualified individuals. Develops and recommends compensation and benefits programs for Board approval that are economically viable and that will attract and retain a capable work force. Otherwise establishes and preserves a working environment that is conducive to productivity and the safety & health of the Ports Authority’s employees.
- Executes contracts approved by the Board on behalf of the Ports Authority, and enters into other arrangements, as appropriate, that provide for the construction, maintenance, services, concessions and/or the joint use of facilities that are conducive to improved services and economy of the Ports Authority’s operations.
- Assures that revenues and costs of services of the Ports Authority are objectively determined and monitored, and makes recommendations to the Board of Directors as necessary regarding appropriate charges by the Ports Authority’s, and associated regulations.
- Assures that the Ports Authority is adequately financed and that its operations and projects are properly funded. Assures that its obligations are paid in a timely manner as authorized by the Board. Presents recommendations to the Board for the sale of bonds, other funding, the use of proceeds, and the investments of surplus funds accordingly. Otherwise assures that the Ports Authority adheres to accepted, standard accounting practices in conducting its business and operations
- Serves as an ex-officio nonmember of the Board of Directors and attends all meetings of the Board. Makes oral and written reports periodically to the Board concerning the operating and financial status of the Ports Authority. Represents the Ports Authority at various government and regulatory hearings to provide information regarding the Ports Authority’s operations, business and projects on behalf of the Board and at its request.
- Promoting integrity is essential in establishing a productive work environment. By promoting integrity, the General Manager is allowing honesty, respect, fairness, responsibility, keeping promises and helping others to thrive in his office. It is important that this message of integrity resonate from top of this organization down so that PPA employees understands integrity is one of organization’s key values and that it is built into the work culture. General Manager and his management team need to be an upstanding model of integrity and also encourage other employees to act with integrity. By following the management team, PPA employees will be able to trust one another and have confidence in management of this Authority.
- Keeps the Board of Directors informed as to the needs of the Ports Authority. Otherwise protects the Ports Authority’s interests and preserves its assets.
Provide the overall supervision and management of the all senior-level managers of the Authority, which generally include appropriate senior personnel within the Office of the General Manager, Division of Airport, Division of Seaport, Division of Finance, Division of Human Resources, Division of Marketing and the Division of Facility Maintenance & Infrastructure Development. Supervision and management includes overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of aforementioned Divisions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must maintain a valid driver’s license; and must maintain specified security clearances, and maintain a valid Ports Authority identification card.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
At least a Baccalaureate Degree, with Master’s degree (M. A.) preferred, in Engineering, Public Administration or Business Administration from an accredited college or university with 5-years related work experience or ten years’ related work experience at executive level. Ability to work extended non-traditional hours is required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application forms can be obtained from the office of the Pohnpei Port Authority at Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State. Completed applications and resume should be submitted to the same office no later than the closing date of this vacancy announcement. Completed application package must also include two reference letters, official State police clearance and copies of degrees, if readily available. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.