POHNPEI PORT AUTHORITY, A PUBLIC CORPORATION OF THE POHNPEI STATE GOVERNMENT, IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION FOR:
SALARY: UG $37,000.00 per annum
LOCATION: Pohnpei Port Authority
Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State
OPENING DATE: April 18, 2022
CLOSING DATE: May 6, 2022
Manages the accounting and financial analysis functions of the Pohnpei Port Authority in accordance with accepted accounting principles and practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Including the following. Other duties may be assigned)
- Establishes and manages the accounting policies, practices and systems of the Pohnpei Port Authority to assure compliance with policies of the Board of Directors, the Pohnpei Port Authority Act of 1991 (State 2L-224-91), and standard, accepted accounting practices.
- Assures that Pohnpei Port Authority’s general ledger and subsidiary ledgers are properly maintained. Prepares financial statements and reports. Interprets and explains operational and financial results for the General Manager and the Board of Directors as requested. Advises the management and the Board of Directors on sound management of Pohnpei Port Authority’s financial and all other assets.
- Conducts an internal audit of the Pohnpei Port Authority’s accounting and fiscal activities periodically to insure compliance with established policies and procedures. Coordinates the annual audit of the Pohnpei Port Authority with a firm of independent public accountants approved by the Board of Directors.
- Provides for the effective billing of all customers services, the proper maintenance of all accounts receivable and the collection of all revenues due the Pohnpei Port Authority.
- Provides for the audit and payment of vendors’ and customers’ invoices for materials and services rendered in a manner designed to protect the Pohnpei Port Authority’s credit standing and other interest.
- Establishes and directs procedures for the maintenance of timekeeping records for the Pohnpei Port Authority’s employees, the preparation of payrolls, payment of associated payroll taxes, the distribution of paychecks, and the application of the Pohnpei Port Authority’s policies regarding expense accounts.
- Establishes and applies proper and timely accounting procedures for the inventory of materials and supplies used by the Pohnpei Port Authority, and the accounting of charges and credits.
- Coordinates the collection of data and the preparation of the Pohnpei Port Authority’s annual budget for review by the General Manager and prepares periodic budget variance reports.
- Monitors the financial interest of the Pohnpei Port Authority and makes recommendations to the General Manger for funding and expenditures. Conducts specific financial analyses in cooperation with the Pohnpei Port Authority’s financial consultants. Verifies that funds are available for planned expenditures.
- Prepares requests for financial grants. Administers grants received to assure compliance with the grant’s terms and conditions, and otherwise assures that the funds are properly accounted for.
Manages five non-exempt employees who perform general accounting work. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must maintain a valid driver’s license; and must maintain specified security clearances, and maintain a valid Ports Authority identification card.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in accounting, finance or comparable field from an accredited college or university; and a minimum of five years professional experience managing the accounting functions of a comparable organization. A thorough knowledge of accounting and auditing principles, practices and procedures. A valid certified public accounting certificate is preferred but not required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application forms can be obtained from the office of the Pohnpei Port Authority at Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State. Completed applications and resume should be submitted to the same office no later than the closing date of this vacancy announcement. Completed application package must also include two reference letters, official State police clearance and copies of degrees, if readily available. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.