The Office of the General Manager:
Under the general direction of the Board of Directors of the Pohnpei Port Authority, the core functions of the job of the General Manager are to lead, plan, coordinate, supervise, direct and implement the overall operations and development strategies for the Authority, with primary aims to improve and expand its growth and productivity, within the context of its mandate to provide modern, reliable, and economical airport and seaport services to meet the needs of Pohnpei state, its citizens and transportation carriers, while assuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Executive Secretary to provides administrative and secretarial services to the Office of the General Manager.
The primary purpose of creating a public corporation to manage the port facilities of Pohnpei State, Pohnpei State Law No. 2L-224-91, grants corporate powers to the Pohnpei Port Authority which include:
- To carry on the business of acquiring, establishing, developing, extending, maintaining, operating and managing ports, with all powers incident thereto;
- Shall have exclusive jurisdiction to plan, establish, develop, construct, enlarge, improve, maintain equip, operate and regulate the ports within the State;
- To protect, police, and establish minimum building codes and regulations for its ports;
- Authorized to purchase, lease and sell real or personal property, supplies, goods, materials, and commodities and to furnish and supply services and utilities as incident to the operation of its properties;
- To enter into contracts, leases and make all other arrangements with any person for port connected purposes for terms not exceeding 25 years; and to adopt and enforce rules and regulations for the orderly, safe, and sanitary operations of its ports.