POHNPEI PORT AUTHORITY, A PUBLIC CORPORATION OF THE POHNPEI STATE GOVERNMENT, IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION FOR:
POSITION: Seaport Manager
SALARY: Grade-13 Starting at $19,510.00-$25,353.00 Per Annum
LOCATION: Pohnpei Port Authority
Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State
OPENING DATE: August 6, 2019
CLOSING DATE: August 23, 2019
SUMMARY: Performs operation of the Pohnpei Port Authority’s boat fleet accordingly and port control assignments at the seaport and otherwise patrols and monitors seaport property and facilities accordingly.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Including the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directs and schedules operations of the seaport to assure that effective services are provided to arriving and departing vessels. Directs the assignment of berths and wharves to vessels and shipping companies, directs the collection of fees for seaport services accordingly. Otherwise assures the safe and efficient movement of vessels within the harbor and navigable waters, and that vehicular traffic moves safely and efficiently on the dock and warehouse areas.
- Makes recommendations to the management regarding procedures, facilities and equipment to have the seaport effectively comply with federal, international and local rules and regulations. Otherwise, assures that the seaport complies with established rules and regulations regarding seaport operations, and coordinates the resolution of issues with the proper regulatory agencies as necessary.
- Directs the effective distribution of rules and regulations regarding the use and control of port facilities, navigable waters, tidelands, and submerged lands within the seaport’s jurisdiction to shipping agents, vessels and general public. Directs issuance of citations and the collection fines for breaches of rules and regulations according to established procedures.
- Coordinates activities of the port police force to assure enforcement of laws, regulations, and policies governing navigable waters and property under jurisdiction of the seaport.
- Directs the maintenance of navigational aids in harbor channels, and directs and coordinates the maintenance of reef markers around the island to assure safe passage of vessels. Coordinates modification of channels with the Environmental Protection Agency and other regulatory bodies to assure protection of reefs and natural resources.
- Develops and maintains emergency procedures and equipment to effectively respond to environmental hazards such as oil spills, grounding of vessels and/or collisions. Establishes procedures for promptly contacting emergency response agencies to fight fires and aid persons needing medical attention.
- Coordinates the development, maintenance and repair of the port’s docks, wharves, equipment and facilities within approved budgets.
- Assures that monthly and quarterly reports of seaport operations and activities are properly prepared and submitted according to procedures.
- Assures that all licenses, identification badges and other documents are obtained and maintained by seaport employees as required by regulations.
- Assures that seaport employees are properly trained in seaport procedures and standards as required by regulations, and that such training is periodically updated and renewed.
- Develops budgets and plans for seaport operations; manages approved budgets and plans accordingly.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises one Assistant Seaport Manager who supervises 5 Port Controllers and 6Tradesmen , one Seaport Administrative Assistant and one Chief of Seaport Police who supervises approximately 17 employees in the Seaport Police Section. Also supervises one professional certified Harbor Pilot. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: A Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Engineering, Business Management, Public Administration or comparable field from an accredited college or university; and a minimum of five years professional experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience in managing seaport functions in a comparable organization. A thorough knowledge of the laws, regulations and standards applicable to a modern seaport is required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application forms can be obtained from the link in blue or at the office of the Pohnpei Port Authority at Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State. Completed applications or resume should be submitted to the same office no later than the closing date of this vacancy announcement.