POHNPEI PORT AUTHORITY, A PUBLIC CORPORATION OF THE POHNPEI STATE GOVERNMENT, IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
POSITION: Trades Technician I
SALARY: Grade 4 Starting at $9,775.00 with COLA per annum
LOCATION: Pohnpei Port Authority
Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State
OPENING DATE: August 9, 2022
CLOSING DATE: August 26, 2022
SUMMARY: Performs carpentry and construction work, maintenance and repairs of moderate complexity regarding the buildings and facilities of the Pohnpei Ports Authority.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Including the following.
- Regularly inspects and evaluates the buildings and facilities to assure proper access and accommodations for operations and service. Performs routine carpentry and related repairs, adjustments and preventive maintenance of the buildings and facilities according to procedures.
- Constructs and repairs structural woodwork and equipment working from blueprints, drawings, or oral instructions. Builds, repairs, and installs items such as counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, building framework, and trim, using carpenter’s hand tools and power tools. Installs glass in windows, doors, and partitions. Replaces damaged ceiling tiles, floor tiles and wall coverings. Installs items, such as shades, Venetian blinds, and door locks.
- Regularly inspects and evaluates the seaport and airport’s runway visual aids, navigational aids, obstruction lights, ramp lighting system as well as other equipment and components of the seaport and airport’s electrical systems to assure proper operation and service. Performs routine repairs, adjustments and preventive maintenance of the system components according to procedures.
- Installs, and repairs pipes, fittings, and fixtures of water and drainage systems, according to specifications and plumbing codes. Cuts and threads pipe, using pipe cutters, cutting torch, and pipe-threading machine. Assembles and installs valves, pipe fittings, and pipes. Determines leaks, and repairs and maintains plumbing by replacing washers in leaky faucets, mending burst pipes, and opening clogged drains. Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, commodes, water heaters, hot water tanks, and water softeners.
- Maintains effective knowledge of the standard principles, methods, practices, techniques, tools and test equipment used in carpentry and construction. Otherwise assures proper care and maintenance of the tools and equipment used in the work performed, and assures that all tools and equipment are accounted for.
- Applies coats of paint, varnish, stain, enamel, or lacquer to decorate and protect interior or exterior surfaces, trimmings, and fixtures of buildings and other structures.
- Prepares estimates of cost and time required to complete routine construction and/or maintenance projects. Prepares and submits standard reports regarding inspections, repairs and maintenance performed on buildings and facilities noting in particular those items needing specialized and/or immediate maintenance and repair.
- Mows grass, cuts weeds and bushes; trims trees; and performs similar tasks using hand tools, lawn mowers, bush cutters, chain saws and other power equipment to maintain the appearance of assigned areas and to assure that facilities are unobstructed. Such areas include, but are not limited to runway shoulders, visual aids, safety zones, fencing perimeters, and parking lots. Otherwise performs related tasks to assure the appearance of the grounds and that the assigned areas are free of obstructions.
- Applies safe work practices on the job and otherwise follows rules and regulations regarding safety and security in the work place.
- Other duties may be assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
QUALIFICATIONS:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:Associate’s degree (A.S.) or equivalent from two-year college plus two years’ experience or technical school plus five – ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application forms can be obtained from the office of the Pohnpei Port Authority at Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State. Completed applications or resume should be submitted to the same office no later than the closing date of this vacancy announcement.