No. PPAVA 06-23
POHNPEI PORT AUTHORITY, A PUBLIC CORPORATION OF THE POHNPEI STATE GOVERNMENT, IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATION(S) FOR THE POSITION FOR:
POSITION: Seaport Police Officer I (2 vacant positions)
SALARY: Grade-3 Starting at $9,132.00.00 Per Annum (COLA included)
LOCATION: Pohnpei Port Authority
Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State
OPENING DATE: January 26, 2023
CLOSING DATE: February 10, 2023
SUMMARY: Performs safety and security assignments at the seaport and otherwise patrols and monitors seaport property and facilities accordingly.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES Including the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Patrols and monitors the harbor, wharves and anchorage areas by boat to enforce rules and regulations of harbor use and access, and to assure the safety and security of vessels and crafts in the harbor. Identifies and reports real and potential violations and security breaches
- Patrols and monitors the wharves, docks, warehouses and facilities of the seaport on foot or in vehicle. Physically checks and tests security access areas such as security doors and gates to assure controlled access. Identifies and reports real and potential violations and security breaches
- Allows authorized access to controlled areas and enforces procedures regarding identification badges and authorizations. Otherwise enforces regulatory mandates, rules, regulations and procedures using prescribed public relations and/or confrontation protocols and procedures
- Boards vessels in the harbor or at dock to conduct clearance procedures; assures that the vessels have the proper certifications of compliance with international shipping codes, and ensures that other required documents are in order according to regulations. Compiles and reports information to the seaport office according to procedures
- Assists vessels in berthing and bunkering, and monitors such activities to alert emergency groups in the event of accidents or environmental hazard such as oil spills. Directs vessels to move as instructed to make space for other vessels
- Initiates emergency procedures in the event of collision, accident or environmental hazard. Performs search and rescue missions to assists persons adrift, in danger of drowning or otherwise injured
- Performs gate duty as assigned and otherwise directs and controls vehicular traffic at seaport; assures that access via gates, parking lots and traffic ways are controlled accordingly
- Regularly participates in classes, training programs and exercises to develop and maintain skills and abilities to provide effective security and safety at the seaport including basic law enforcement methods, procedures and tactics
- Reports facilities and equipment that need maintenance attention
- Prepares and submits reports regarding safety and security incidents according to procedures
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
High school education plus two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have no record of felony or criminal conviction. Having Driver’s license and open water scuba diving certificate is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application forms can be obtained from the office of the Pohnpei Port Authority at Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State. Completed applications or resume should be submitted to the same office no later than the closing date of this vacancy announcement.