POHNPEI PORT AUTHORITY, A PUBLIC CORPORATION OF THE POHNPEI STATE GOVERNMENT, IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
POSITION: Assistant Seaport Manager
SALARY: Grade-11 $12,848.00 – $16,748.00 Per Annumor DUQ
LOCATION: Pohnpei Port Authority
Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State
OPENING DATE: March 25, 2019
CLOSING DATE: April 12, 2019
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- SUMMARY: Assigns berths and wharves to vessels and shipping companies according to procedures, or as otherwise directed. Otherwise directs the safe and efficient movement of vessels within the harbor and navigable waters according to rules, regulations and procedures. Assures that vehicular traffic moves safely and efficiently in the dock and warehouse areas according to rules and procedures.
- Monitors activities of the harbor police force to assure effective assignment and schedules of personnel to interface with vessels and to patrol areas under the jurisdiction of the seaport for the enforcement of the laws, regulations, and policies governing navigable waters and seaport property.
- Supervises the work pertaining to the maintenance of navigational aids in harbor channels and reef markers around the island to assure safe passage of vessels.
- Supervises the daily operations of the ports, including the cleaning and up keeping maintenance of the seaport office, facilities and equipment.
- Assists as directed in expediting emergency procedures and deploying equipment to effectively respond to environmental hazards such as oil spills, grounding of vessels and/or collisions, and in the seaport’s response to other emergency situations.
- Prepares monthly reports of seaport operations and activities for approval, and submits the approved reports according to procedures.
- Directs the approved purchase of supplies, equipment and services for the seaport according to procedures.
- Substitutes for the Seaport Manager as assigned and exercises authority in such a capacity as directed by the Seaport Manager.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The position has no direct supervisory responsibilities unless assigned to substitute for the Seaport Manager, then, within the scope of assigned authority, directs the work of the Navigation Inspector, 5 Port Control Officers and the Chief of Port Police and Inspection who supervises approximately 20 Seaport Police Officers. Also responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units accordingly and supervises one Administrative Assistant. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Otherwise guides the work of employees within the scope of assigned projects of the seaport division.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Engineering, Business Management, Public Administration or comparable field from an accredited college or university; and a minimum of five years professional experience managing seaport or comparable functions in a comparable organization. An effective knowledge of the laws, regulations and standards applicable to a modern seaport is required.
HOW TO APPLY: Application forms can be obtained from the link in blue or at the office of the Pohnpei Port Authority at Dekehtik Island, Pohnpei State. Completed applications or resume should be submitted to the same office no later than the closing date of this vacancy announcement.